Lucia has something to say

Monday, August 28, 2006

Irony

In an interview on To the Best of Our Knowledge on Wisconsin Public Radio, author Douglas Copeland referred to a magazine article he had once read that said only 20% of human beings are hard wired to “get” irony. 20%! That leaves 80% of the population taking things at face value. Can this possibly be? I have always assumed that everyone gets irony. But maybe not. I don't get those cartoons in the paper. I don't even try. Maybe I'm not wired for newspaper comics. Maybe other people aren't wired to get irony--to contain opposites in their brains at the same time.

He said, "People who don’t get irony interpret it as sarcasm.” I do think there's a rampant desire to be hip and clever, which brings sarcasm and irony into play. Sarcasm, though, often has a mean edge, and irony is witty. Jon Stewart is the reigning king of irony.

So “Honk if you know the difference between irony and sarcasm.”

5 Comments:

Blogger Maggie said...

Honk honk! LOL. Thats an amazing fact - hard to believe.

8:08 PM  
Blogger meno said...

80% of people also think they are above average drivers. I know i am.
Was that sarcasm?

11:04 PM  
Blogger Susan as herself said...

I get irony better than I give it.

But I give and get sarcasm equally. I guess that makes me more mean than ironic.

But I love Jon Stewart, so that may help.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Scottsdale Girl said...

I prefer sarcasm to irony. It satisfies me in many more ways.

Irony - reminds me of ironing and no one likes that.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Maya's Granny said...

To quote Maggie, Honk, Honk! I love irony. I love Jon Stewart. I love Stephen Colbert.

I didn't know about the 20% stat, but I can't say it surprises me. After all, look at all the people who still think Dubya is doing a good job.

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home